When Jane's having one of those "I want to go home days", it's always one of the most challenging days because she does not want to do her assignments. It has turned into a game of what to try to get her to do her assignments. Whats been successful has always been hands on learning.
Because Jane is so smart, she gets bored with the instruction. When she's in the special education room, we always try to mix things up. Jane loves being the "teacher" in the classroom. I pretend I'm the student and she's the teacher. Jane stands at the chalk board and talks me through all her math problems. I write down the answers that she writes on the chalk board. What Jane doesn't realize, is that she is really doing the assignment. I think it's a great tool to use in the classroom. I get to ask her questions like, "why did you borrow from that number?" and ect.
Not only has this worked for my second grader, Jane, this has also worked for the high schoolers that I student taught. When they were having trouble sleeping during class, it helped them all stay awake when they say another student at the front of the class teaching! Love it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment